Feed Me..

Feed Me..
Heirloom Scallop Yellow Squash

Monday, April 23, 2012

Annual Organic Mushroom Farm Run - 2x in 2012

So the last few years, I have set out on an adventure with Truck & Chicken.  Chicken is my wingman.   Near Jim is a certified organic mushroom farm, and they graciously sell their spent mushroom growing medium to gardeners, cities, and landscape companies. This year I went the Monday of holy week, and the Monday after Easter, because last year I purchased three livestock water tanks and I did not have enough "Mel's Mix" soil to fill them.

This year, I will be growing tomatoes, bell peppers and sweet peas in the tanks. I also added another raised planting bed for lettuces, spinach, mustard greens, and carrots, and around memorial weekend I plan on placing an A-frame over this bed, so that I can grow Zucchini and Cucumbers over them in order to provide shade during summer and maximize my growing space.

I would like to be able to start an asparagus bed closer to the house later this year, otherwise next spring for sure.  I love asparagus, and the boyz like it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment