Feed Me..

Feed Me..
Heirloom Scallop Yellow Squash

Monday, April 23, 2012

Playing in the Dirt & Making Newspaper Pots



Yup, that really was all the supplies I needed to make my pots.  Thanks to Ben and Sheri who gifted me with the wooden pot maker shown above.  I made 30 pots today in two hours.  Tomorrow, I begin mixing up my version of "Mel's Mix" from the New Square Foot Garden book.  I have to say, I add a few more ingredients, and I kind of wing it, but so far that has worked.

 The main thing is to start with organic compost, and in my case the main compost I get is from the local Organic Mushroom farm.  They appear to use Spaghum Moss/Peat, chalk, cow manure and of course there are still mushrooms and the fungal mycelia.  I also mix in Sphagnum moss, leaf mold compost, vermicompost, vermiculite (no asbestos), perlite, blood meal, greensand.

The only downside to using the fresh spent mushroom medium is that it decomposes quite a bit each year, and so right now I am having to add new mix each spring.  Eventually though, the beds should be full and I will just need to mix in some compost as I harvest and put in the next batch of seeds.


No comments:

Post a Comment